Dr. Matthew Welsh
I began my professional career as a lawyer. Studying and practicing in the field of law helped me develop critical thinking skills and an understanding of how to navigate the practical challenges of life. However, working as a lawyer made me realize I wanted to help people on a more personal, emotional, and psychological level so they could be effective before they need a lawyer. So, at the age of 29, I quit my job as a family law attorney and went back to school to get a Ph.D. in Psychology. I now work as a psychologist licensed in Illinois and Kansas and as a life coach. As a lifetime student, I am dedicated to learning. I want to learn more about you and help you get to where you want to be.
I want to learn what is in your heart, mind, soul, and emotions and help you express those parts of yourself in a meaningful and real way. I understand the stress of working in a high pressure career and difficulty of finding authentic fulfillment and self-expression. When I worked as a lawyer, I questioned why I experienced confusion and anxiety.
So, now I am committed to helping others overcome obstacles related to work stress, relationship problems and career changes. I also work as a clinical psychologist at a Veteran Affairs hospital providing psychotherapy to Veterans. I can use this experience to help you with any trauma, PTSD, anger, depression, anxiety, or drug and alcohol problems.
In the 4 minute video clip below, Dr. Welsh speaks to Dana Lord Lewis, founder of Energy Think, about his transition from an unhappy lawyer to a clinical psychologist.
Other services I provide include:
– Find a career that is aligned with your values, interests, strengths, or deepest desires.
– Better understand your personality characteristics so you can find a compatible romantic partner.
– Enhance the quality of current relationships by improving conflict management skills, communicating your wants and needs more effectively, establishing better boundaries, or work through any possible codependency issues.
– Better manage practical challenges and difficult transitions in life (divorce, job loss, or death of a loved one) so that you can move through them with greater ease, purpose, and strength.
– Overcome mental blocks that may be inhibiting your creative ability to publish a book, build a website, or become a writer
I offer counseling and life coaching sessions via Skype, Zoom, or telephone. I charge $250 for an hour long session. I also offer a free 15 minute consultation. To schedule your initial counseling or life coaching session or free 15 minute consultation, please send an email to , or call me at (847) 316-0218. For clients living in Illinois or Kansas, I can give you a receipt or “superbill” that you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. Please email me with any questions.